February 7, 2011

RR05

 Introduction to Cradle to Cradle.. hey, this book is not a tree. Well going into the introduction the first couple of pages were terrifying news. Although it's always in the back of my mind, on how things are made and what they are made of. The chair and the fibers within the chair was a nice touch to add though, a lot of people including myself have probably never thought about that type of thing. Then he goes on to how things are made, such as in other countries and who makes them. After I read that I not only starting thinking about environmental changes with the product and machinery used. But who exactly was making the product. Most toys and products come with a Made in China label stamped on the bottom. So how do "we" The United States know that the materials used in the making of the products are safe. Even though they "say" they are changing materials to make them safer, if they haven't already. But they also "say" that child labor laws are illegal but that doesn't stop India in displaying wrongful child labor in unsafe conditions..

Okay okay, now I am just rambling on with nonsense that is running through my mind. But also my dad just happens to work for the Franklin County Commissioners Office which also runs the Franklin County Waste Facility. So in honor of trying to read this book I will further my investigation and see if I can conduct any interviews or comments from the workers there. Such as finding out how much waste Franklin County goes through as a whole, where the waste goes after it's thrown away, do materials that contain harmful products harm the earth after buried, will it always be there and etc.